Prior to when I had my big chop, I wasn’t really making my hair anymore, was bored and it felt like my hair wasn’t growing. Relaxers, oh no!! Which one have I not tried and tried. Is it cup, or kit, or for beginners, I still didn’t find anyone that made my hair relax very well. I have done stuff, retouch my hair every month, for almost a year, steamed, making my hair always*ko le werk*.
I went to the barber one fateful day and chopped off my hair pretty low. I wasn’t even sure if I wanted to go natural or just maintain a low cut hair style. After a while, it all made sense, relaxers were not working for my hair, I wasn’t making the hair, and it wasn’t growing anymore.
It’s already two years since I had my big chop, Whoop whoop whoop!!!!!!!! how time flies…….
Being natural isn’t easy at all one bit, for people who says it is *somebody lied* especially for people with 4C hair,
I have spent thousands of naira on products initially, and guess what, IT DIDNT WORK FOR MY HAIR. The products are still there lying on the table in my room. Then I gave up.
For a whole year I practically did nothing to my hair, just comb and go. After a while I bought ori (Shea butter) from the women who sells in the market and that was it. I got bored again and I went into wig making for myself.
I made up my mind again to try new things for my hair. The truth is you just have to keep trying products till you find out what works for your hair.
What won’t you hear??
Honey is good for natural hair
Coconut oil… Chai… Don’t sleep on coconut oil ooo
Mix banana and avocado.. Super best for DC.
Do a fat twist before you sleep
Red oil ooo abi palm kernel oil is good
Do a tea rinse.
Sleep with a satin bonet…….
Blah blah blah……..
SUPER STORY TO MY HAIR
My hair hates honey… It makes my hair hard. Imagine having a 4C HAIR and you’re making it strong again. *double trouble*
Coconut oil makes my hair harder as well…
- Shrinkage is 100% real, I initially used to believe even with the natural hair my hair wasn’t shifting growth wise. You have to embrace shrinkage.
- Being natural makes everything better, my dear na lie oo, you have to work to get your desired hair growth
- Going to the salon to make your hair, no stress. Hian!! The way those salon people would look at you ehn, like you’re not supposed to be making the hair, especially if its your first time.
- Every thing that works for A cannot work for B, keep trying till you find what works.
- Hairffiliation ori coco whipped Shea mix
- VO5 strawberries & cream +soy milk protein moisturizing conditioner
- Life Natural Pepper mint oil
- Hairffiliation extra virgin coconut oil.
- Cantu leave in conditioner repair cream with Shea butter
- Sunny isle Jamaican black castor oil
- We natural whipped Shea hair butter with hemp oil
- We natural motisurizing & detangling with hemp oil.
- We natural leave in moisturizing conditioner
- We natural black soap with hemp oil
- Cantu deep treatment masque
- Eco styler gel with alo vera
- Hawaiian silky argan oil hydrating sleek edge control.
I didn’t purchase these products all in one day, it was a gradual process. And I plan to still buy more as well as replace finished bottles.
- I never apply coconut oil alone, ever since I found out it makes my hair harder.
- I do LOC / LCO (Liquid Oil Conditioner) almost every morning.
- I pre poo once in 3 months
- I co-wash every two weeks
- I wash (shampoo) once in a month
- I have deep conditioned 3times since I went natural
- Shea butter loves my hair…
- My hair needs moisture…. Kai!! So I have a mix of a drop of castor oil, peppermint oil, coconut oil and plenty water in a spray bottle.
What I plan to do
- Keep my hair under a protective style more often
- Do a big twist before I sleep
- Deep condition more
- Clarify my hair
I didn’t do so much to my natural hair and it grew to this length in two years, if I eventually start doing stuff to it, it would grow more than this in the next two years…
I am excited already…
If you’re a naturalista like me, kindly share your hair procedure or what products you use in the comment section below… I would love to read how long you’ve been natural…
Have a awesome weekend ahead…